4.10.11

I WOULD DYE 4 U







Talking about Upstate reminded me that I still had photos of a few of our own shibori projects from this summer lying around on my computer. Having experimented with the Arashi and Kumo techniques, which are both pretty closely akin to traditional tie-dyeing, Dag and I decided to try and tackle the more complicated Itajime, which involves folding the fabric before dyeing and securing it tightly between two boards. Since we were working with vintage shirts and not full pieces of fabric, figuring out how best to pleat and manipulate our folds was kind of a headache--but our bumbling efforts were, amazingly, rewarded. Dag's first attempt, top, was a miraculous triumph.

Anyone looking for a quick, basic Shibori tutorial should look here. Books can be helpful as well. Really though, the best way to learn is to just buy some dye, find some old silk t-shirts at a thrift store, and start mucking around. And I'm definitely happy to offer what little advice that I can, so don't hesitate to ask!

13 comments:

anja said...

I want to comment on the coolness of the dyeing but I have to confess that the title of this post is my favorite part, haha. They all look awesome!

thousandflower said...

I was hoping you would post some of your own dyeing. The results were so neat.

AMY said...

that's so cool!!

Kailey said...

I have to comment on how perfect this post title is! Prince's Purple Rain for the win! :D

nicole valentine don / little nicki said...

ha! amazing! i've been into it too...

http://thetranscontinentalaffair.blogspot.com/2011/08/shibori.html

http://thetranscontinentalaffair.blogspot.com/2011/10/shibori2.html

they all look great...how addictive is it??!

Matariki said...

Shibori is the best, as a seasoned tie-dyer I have to say that the best result I ever got was a itajime die on silk fabric which is now hanging on my bedroom wall. Looking at it makes me feel like I'm looking into a whirlpool.

Sandra said...

Great stuff you did!!


Sandra
Enter my first jewelry giveaway ever!! :)

Ringo, have a banana! said...

Whoa Nicki, you've made some amazing stuff! It totally is addictive, especially the excitement at the end of the big reveal...I'm so glad you guys have been experimenting with this stuff too. Long live fiber arts!

Catherine said...

These are so beautiful! Thank you for the link to the shibori tutorial!

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Fantastic!

Ophelia said...

Looks like a fun time!

http://cestlavieophelia.blogspot.com/

Oh, B Wyatt said...

Happened to see your examples, and I pretty much ran out that same day to buy some dye and try it myself. I just wrote a little bit about my experience on my own blog,

www.missiontobywater.blogspot.com

and I've linked to your photos in the post because they were so beautiful!

tinyparticlesoflight said...

I love tie dyeing but I've never used and official method before - the shirts you made are beyond beautiful - I have to try this!

xo
cortnie