25.2.12

PANCAKES FOR ONE

pancakesforone

I cook just about every day, sometimes several times a day. There's no better way to make sure that everything going into your food is good, clean and healthy. Plus, it's just fun. It also helps that I work from home a lot, but even if you have to fend for yourself out in the real world all week, the weekend is the perfect chance to whip yourself up something special.

I also cook solo an awful lot, especially while Alex is away. This can be frustrating when I find myself with a fridge full of a few ingredients that I then have to incorporate into every damn meal for a week before they go bad! In the case of last weekend it was various leftover bits from baking Valentines cupcakes, so I decided to make myself pancakes. I used this basic recipe as a starting point, made my own buttermilk (so easy!), used a mix of regular white and whole wheat pastry flours (I didn't have wheat germ but I think it would have made a nice addition), and added a bit of lemon zest. I also plopped on a few ripe blackberries as they were cooking, and served them up with real maple syrup and some orange slices.

What's your favorite thing to cook on the weekend?

No comments: